ROCKEFELLER PHILANTHROPY ADVISORS
Director, Knowledge Development, New York, NY
Director, Knowledge Development
WHO WE ARE
Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors (RPA) is a nonprofit that partners with individuals, families and institutions to help make philanthropy more thoughtful, effective and rewarding. Since 2002, RPA has facilitated more than $3 billion in grantmaking worldwide, establishing itself as one of the world's largest and most trusted philanthropic service organizations. Drawing on its diverse and unmatched expertise, RPA provides tailored advisory, management and education services, translating the motivations of innovative leaders and pioneers into action.
Committed to enhancing and promoting its understanding of the future and value of giving by converting its collective knowledge to maximize effective philanthropy through its Theory of the Foundation Initiative, RPA is an important leader disseminating its intellectual capital to its clients and the broader field. RPA's growth and innovation are led by a diverse team of experienced, analytical and critical thinkers who are dedicated and mission-driven with expertise across the spectrum of issue areas.
Through its advisory, consulting and research services, RPA provides guidance in planning, strategy, evaluation and grantmaking, helping to ensure that clients' philanthropic goals are met. RPA currently oversees more than $200 million annually in grantmaking and serves as a fiscal sponsor for more than 35 projects, providing governance, management and operational infrastructure support.
With offices in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco and a presence in the United Kingdom, RPA advisors are dynamic thought leaders who take a leadership role in shaping the future of philanthropy informed with knowledge of past and present trends.
WHO WE SEEK
RPA seeks a strategic, intellectual, collaborative and pragmatic results-oriented Director, Knowledge Development ("Director") with a firm understanding of the role and power of philanthropy in society inspired to convert and share the knowledge collected from research and relevant data to advance the firm's organization mission and enhance client services. With an uncanny ability to integrate knowledge management concepts, the Director will enthusiastically promote the sharing of internal knowledge in a manner accessible to all. Collaborating with the Vice President, Marketing Communication & Partnerships, the Director will also facilitate external dissemination of intellectual capital, enhancing RPA's profile and strengthening its position as a thought leader.
High emotional intelligence and strong interpersonal skills are all essential for the new Director, and he/she will be able to cull critical information from the diverse staff. A member of the Donor Services team, the Director must be prepared to be immersed in the multiple assignments that constitute this portfolio. The successful Director will be able and eager to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced social enterprise with colleagues who are committed to promoting equality by enhancing the ability of their clients to serve the public good.
The Director of Knowledge Development is a senior-level position responsible for developing and enhancing RPA's public profile and internal awareness through knowledge development and programs. The Director will be responsible for developing research, publications, and both internal and external programs to promote awareness of RPA's thought leadership and intellectual capital. The Director will work closely with Client Services to develop content and with Marketing and Communications to disseminate. The responsibilities include:
- Serve as an active partner to RPA advisory and sponsored project staff in:
- identifying opportunities to share findings, knowledge and experience from current client activities;
- planning for the integration of knowledge management concepts into new engagements;
- identifying, assessing and proposing new uses for existing RPA intellectual property;
- Identify, assess and propose areas for research and publication to advance RPA's role as a thought leader in the philanthropic space;
- Develop, in collaboration with Marketing & Communications, donor guides, profiles, briefings and other donor resources to strengthen RPA's philanthropic advisory and fiscal sponsorship practices;
- Serve as an implementation partner to operations in creating systems enhancements that promote internal knowledge sharing.
- Actively participate in the creation of new client proposals across the organization's service lines and offices;
- Provide support for the development and implementation of RPA's marketing strategy;
- Represent RPA in appropriate venues through writing and speaking, including client engagements;
- Promote RPA's work internally to ensure staff remains current on its portfolio.
- Strong commitment to RPA's values and mission.
- BA and advanced degree or equivalent experience required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in a related role.
- Outstanding writing and presentation skills.
- Clear, direct, respectful interpersonal communications style.
- Effective delegation/work-sharing skills.
- Deep understanding of techniques for connecting varied audiences to key messages.
- Analytical with strong research orientation.
- Highly collaborative and collegial approach to planning and implementation.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, set priorities, meet deadlines and accept new challenges.
- Creative, open and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Global experience and perspective strongly desired.
Rockefeller Philanthropy Advisors, an equal opportunity employer, seeks a diverse pool of candidates and will offer a competitive salary and benefits package. Applications, including cover letters and résumés, and nominations should be sent to the attention of Paul Spivey at: